The Page Sage

The Page Sage was started because I love reading and writing- it just seemed like the natural way to combine my two passions. It's where I discuss books I love and some I don't, as well as everything from book covers to feminist literature.
Something Strange and Deadly - A Darkness Strange and Lovely - A Dawn Most Wicked - Susan Dennard

Something Strange and Deadly Book Club: Week 3

If you're a member of Epic Reads (HarperTeen's website), you know that each month they have a Book Club pick. And for August, they picked one of my *favorites,* the absolutely amazing Something Strange and Deadly. The author, Susan Dennard, has made this book club even MORE awesome by adding in prizes (including free books, signed stuff, etc.) to the mix, so you should really hop on over to her website to sign up.

This week's question is about romance. ;)

Eleanor finds herself more and more intrigued by (perhaps even attracted to) Daniel Sheridan, the inventor of the Spirit-Hunters. What is it about him that appeals to her? And vice versa, what do you think attracts Daniel to Eleanor?
Then there’s Clarence Wilcox, the seemingly perfect eligible bachelor. Why do you think Eleanor doesn’t like Clarence?

CLARENCE.

Clarence essentially embodies society- he has all the right manners, all the right clothes, and plenty of moolah. Even as he deals with the stress of the Deadly events happening in Philadelphia, he continuously maintains appearances. Most importantly, he expects a certain way of behavior from Miss Fitt, and while he finds her lack of decorum occasionally amusing, he also expects her to grow out of it. In this way, he is demanding and condescending, even if he does have a chance for redemption.

(Also, Clarence is chosen for Eleanor by her mother. Even if this was how it was done in 1876, what teenager willingly goes for the date their parents have picked out?)

DANIEL.

Then there's Daniel. Ah, Daniel. With his inventions, loyalty, and green eyes. He's rough around the edges and yes, a scalawag, but he also has the freedom that Eleanor craves. More importantly, he may mock her from time to time ("Empress"), but he doesn't expect her to follow society's silly rules while in his company. He just expects her to be her. While Clarence grows to like Eleanor, Daniel grows to respect her, and that makes all of the difference.

Would you choose Clarence or Daniel?
Source: http://thepagesage.blogspot.com/2013/08/something-strange-and-deadly-book-club_21.html