The Page Sage

The Page Sage was started because I love reading and writing- it just seemed like the natural way to combine my two passions. It's where I discuss books I love and some I don't, as well as everything from book covers to feminist literature.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone - I have never hated myself more for not reading a book sooner. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is absolutely phenomenal- one of the best fantasy books I have ever read. The storytelling is simply incredible, with perfect pacing, effortless suspense, and a mystery that reveals itself to be more imaginative than I ever would have expected. There are so many twists and turns, and they're done so brilliantly that they're not obvious at all. Just the writing itself is flawless. It's one of those books that leaves you in awe when you remember that a story this amazing came from someone's mind.Then there's the world-building. Guys, it is absolutely incredible. The political tensions and the descriptions of the city are brilliant, but it's more the specific place that Karou has grown up that is so fascinating. The system of wishes and teeth is both whimsical and occasionally horrific, and I loved that the reader learns about her family and Elsewhere through her artwork. When characters are artists it's always a plus, and DSB is no exception. The only qualm I had with the whole book, though, was that I had some trouble keeping her family straight. I had no issues with Brimstone and Yissa, but I had to flip back to remember the details on the other characters that Karou described when discussing her sketchbook.However, Taylor is fantastic at characterizations. Karou especially is so well-developed. She's strong and can defend herself (seriously, this girl can kick some ass), but...Read the rest of the review at The Page Sage.