The Page Sage

The Page Sage was started because I love reading and writing- it just seemed like the natural way to combine my two passions. It's where I discuss books I love and some I don't, as well as everything from book covers to feminist literature.

Jersey Angel

Jersey Angel - Beth Ann Bauman The most important thing to note about this book is that Angel is an imperfect, but very real protagonist. While she makes a lot of mistakes, I feel she is still a sympathetic, likable character. What really makes Angel stands out, though, is that she knows what she wants sexually. In tons of YA novels that are narrated by males, the authors don't refrain from talking about their character's sexual urges, but with female protagonists, it seems all they want to do is cuddle with their beau beneath the stars. And that's not realistic, whereas Angel is. Not to quote Rachel Berry from Glee, but "Girls want sex just as much as guys do!" Even though I don't agree with many of Angel's choices, it's refreshing to see an author that addresses the fact that teen girls have hormones, too. I just didn't understand how Angel could have so little guilt, at least initially, over sleeping with her best friend's boyfriend. Needless to say (but I'm saying it anyway), that bothered me.Angel's family is messed up, to say the least, especially in the parental department, but I loved her brother and sister. They both have these big personalities and their antics will make you chuckle. I think character relationships, especially with the family dynamic, is what Bauman did best with this book.Jersey Angel is, at its base, a coming-of-age novel. The problems Angel has to face are delicately woven into the plot, rather than in the reader's face, and the novel definitely has depth. I feel that if I were to reread this book, I would find that there's more to a certain scene or chapter than I saw during the first read. The only issue I had was that the ending felt a bit sudden. Maybe I expected more of a solid conclusion and shouldn't have, but it felt a bit rushed. The good aspect of this is that the loose ends are realistic- life doesn't have neatly wrapped "Once Upon a Time's" and "The End's". It's messy and there aren't always simple solutions, and Bauman captures that.The Jersey Shore is the perfect setting for this novel. It's so easy to picture the beach and the ocean spray and this, combined with Bauman's writing style and the short page count (only 208 pages), makes Jersey Angel a great summer read.